This article will show you how I made cute little home décor objects out of old, recycled wine bottles.
Before I begin any project, however, I like to find a spot to do them where I know they will be safe from little hands. But because I don't have a craft room, I am left with the only option: the kitchen table. If you have a nice table that you don't want paint on, then I highly recommend that you lay something down so your table doesn't get ruined.
The first step of this project involves prepping the wine bottles by removing the stickers. I soaked mine in hot soapy water for a while in order to be able to peel them off easily. After I peeled them off, I scrubbed the bottles to get off all the residue.
After I have prepped my bottles and organized my project area, I then look over everything for any last-second decisions. I'm always making last-second decision changes, but hey, it's better before than after.
OK, now let's get to making the project.
Have your hot glue gun preheated and your jute ready.
Before you go glue-crazy, make sure you know where you want your jute to be put. This process is what took the longest for me, because I was so indecisive on where I wanted it at. I wanted each bottle to have its own look, so I really sat back and looked at them to make sure my results would be what I wanted. (Note: Adding a flower to one or a couple of the bottles could be a cute idea as well.)
Once I decided on how I wanted to proceed, then I started to put glue on the bottle. This part was super messy, because I tried to put glue on every inch of the jute. Let me tell you that was not a good idea, because the glue just gets everywhere at that point.
So I then decided that since I already knew where I wanted my jute at, I would do three lines vertically on each side of the bottle and started to wrap my jute around it. The jute then had three spots it was adhered to on the bottle. It worked a lot better than trying it the other way.
Once I placed the jute on all my bottles, I placed them by each other, just to make sure I was pleased with the end results.
Here is the funniest part of the project. Not that creating it wasn't fun, but there's nothing better than getting to see your work at the end displayed.
I wasn't too sure where I wanted it to be displayed at first. So this took me a bit, but I figured it out.
Once I found the spot I thought was perfect for it, I placed the bottles in the order I thought they flowed the best. After placing them in the order I wanted them in, I then leaned the letters against the bottles. (Note: I was debating on gluing the letters to the bottles but decided against it, just in case I want to change the word someday.)
There was something missing once I displayed it, and I didn't know really what to add. That is, until I went to Hobby Lobby and saw the cotton. But I wanted to add a little color to it, so I found the purple frosted leafs.
When I got home and placed the cotton and the leaves in the bottles, I was very pleased with the end results. The picture above is how they are displayed, but I am debating on positioning them differently in the future to see what I like.
Don't hesitate to comment with some ideas on different positions. All ideas are welcome.